05 February 2009

First post from Australia!

Greetings from the land down under! I haven’t actually done any sightseeing just yet, so this post will be short and picture-less. I’ve spent the last two days spending too much money to move into my apartment, getting used to walking on the left side of the road, and getting used to the fact that while I can understand everything I hear, I have to think about it just a little bit more.

Australia seems to be pretty Americanised. Aside from the 7-11 on every other corner, there is an abundance of fast food restaurants, as well, including the requisite McDonald’s (which they call “Macker’s” instead of “Mickey-D’s”) and KFC. They even enjoy American candy! A friend I made at the bank really likes Reese’s peanut butter cups, and apparently was very disappointed because of the recent peanut-butter product recall, which deprived him of his regular shipment of aforementioned goodies from his friends in the States.

Meanwhile, I now carry around two cell phones at all times; if you don’t know how to contact me, please let me know and I’ll get back to you ASAP. EAP orientation starts tomorrow, and so perhaps I’ll actually start going to see all the tourist spots.

No comments: