28 March 2009

It's been a lazy Saturday afternoon. I was in the library with Mickis this morning, finishing up a philosophy essay, and will be spending the next week working on an archaeology and a romanticism essay, but that's next week.

Allow me to summarise the last two weeks (the last post was a faux-post):

First, just a picture from the crab-racing bar last week. Mucho fun-o. Caroline just looked so happy I had to put this picture up.

As for the sailing lessons...I've had two sailing lessons already--I really don't know much about sailing, though, except the basic terminology and how to put the jib and the mainsail up. One more lesson, so I'm not going to be sailing anywhere anytime soon. But nonetheless, it is very fun, and the people are awesome. We sail on little boats--probably 5 people on the boat at most, it's about...6 metres? With a keel. I don't know much about it aside from that, but hopefully I'll be able to snap a few pictures (I don't take my camera out on the water for fear of capsizing--even though we aren't supposed to), or at least get a few pictures from someone else.

Last Friday...is a bit hazy. There was a nice dinner at King's Cross, then ivy yet again (I counted, and that was 4 times in 3 weeks we were there). Ivy was REALLY hazy, and then there was a weird incident at McDonald's where some hairdresser/singer who has a myspace page started singing for us right there. Yeah, can't remember it really well. I do remember I had on my new, pretty, and slightly painful heels, though.

Last Saturday, we went to Bronte beach--very nice family beach, they even have a nice little pool and "stoned-off" area for everyone to get in the water without having to deal with the waves and the rip and the like. Meet happy Sina, who is clearly enjoying our 4 hour stint at the beach.

On Tuesday, there was the Lord Mayor's Welcome for International Students at the Sydney Opera House. 1) The Lord Mayor was not present, it was the Deputy Lord Mayor. 2) The vice-chancellor from UTS told us about his own experience studying abroad, telling the following story (not verbatim): "I studied abroad in the States. The first day I got to campus, I walked towards the main gate of campus, and standing there was a man on a soap box with a chicken on his head. I hope you didn't have such a surprising welcome to Sydney, but I hope you'll have just as much fun as I did." [I went up to him afterwards and asked him where he studied abroad. Yes, it was UC Berkeley.] 3) There was an open bar, stocked with champagne, beer, wine. 4) There were large quantities of free food. 5) The view from inside the Opera House is simply amazing. 6) There was a brass quintet (they weren't great, but still). Needless to say, it was quite a nice afternoon/evening.

Then, there was dinner with the girls! $5 pizzas and $10 pitchers of sangria. Sounds like a good night. And it was!

Wednesday night: Up to the Orbit with Mickis's friend Ewa and her travel buddies. This is them being silly with the revolving floor and the stationary section. Haha, this ended in yet another night at the Sidebar and another late night snack at a McDonald's. Luckily, this one wasn't across the street from ivy. Still.

Thursday and Friday = school, sailing, and a housewarming party that I have no pictures of. And then, today. Studying in the library, and an afternoon reading in Victoria park.

There, my post for the week. I'll try to scan a print or something from my photography class. I really lack photography skills, though.

No comments: