06 March 2009

On the first week of school

So it begins, school. I’ve almost forgotten what it feels like to sit in class. The last month or so has been one long vacation—in addition to that nice one and a half month break at home. I wish I could just live here for the semester, and not have to go to school. It’s been so nice.

But whatever, school is school. It’s different here, but maybe it’s just different because I’m no longer taking a bunch of classes with labs. Let me explain. I have 12 hours of class a week. I have three days of class a week. That has never happened in all my time at Berkeley. One hour on Monday, five on Tuesday, and six on Thursday. It’s wonderfully relaxing and yet slightly scary—they say that we’re supposed to study on our own time, there’s no handholding, etc., but I don’t really know what I’m supposed to do with my time. I do the readings, I take the notes, and then…I’m left with the whole rest of the day.

If you know me at all, you know I like structure and organisation. So, I feel like I’m wasting away some of my days when I have very little to do, and I feel like I should be doing something. Hence, my decision to join the gym. Once again, if you know me at all, you know I don’t like going to the gym too often. Maybe never. But I’ve joined the gym here, and I’m hoping that I go at least four times a week. Mind you, that doesn’t mean I’ll be running on the treadmill or lifting weights. As much as I like structure, I’m not going to go so far as to do that. I’m taking spinning and yoga. They’re fun! Alternative exercise for me!

Anyways…first week of school. Classes: interesting, although a little scary. They’re all things I’ve never really covered before, aside from my Ancient Civilisations class. But even that’s a little different because the focus here is on archaeology. It is exciting, though, because there’s some hands-on component to the class and we get to go see artefacts and stuff. Should be awesome. Other than that, Birth of Modern Science has yet to cover science (we’re covering cathedrals), Photography is intense, and Romanticism and Revolution has done absolutely nothing.

Hung out with friends. Mickis and Sina, of course, we went to a school club party, the beach (Coogee this time, outrageously large waves that knocked us all over), and some bars/clubs (Orbit – gorgeous, ivy – fun, Establishment – made a circle and the left). Will have more interesting stuff to add after tonight, I suppose, as it is Mardi Gras here (it’s a large LGBT festival/parade), so expect pictures.

‘Til then, I apologise for the rather boring and picture-less post.

No comments: